I have accidentally typed "あんた" instead of "あなた" and had some people tell me that there is a negative connotation with "あんた".

I just want to understand what connotation "あんた" carries and why it is considered something bad to say.

Meaning-wise, あんた just means "you". It has no negative meaning. But unlike あなた, あんた is a pretty blunt second-person pronoun, and it sounds clearly impolite if used inappropriately. In short, あんた is a word closer to お前 than to あなた. Perhaps female speakers tend to choose あんた over お前.

In the real world, most people never use it even at home, but I think a few "strong" mothers use it to address their husbands or children. In fiction, you would also hear it used by someone who speaks bluntly. A typical male user of あんた is a proud guy like Cloud Strife. Many stereotypical tsundere girls use あんた, too.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you. That helps a lot. – pocketonion Apr 20 at 19:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.