I'm struggling to get the difference between 旦, 夕 and 汐 - to me them all signifies "evening". Is that so? Do they mean the same thing?

I'm not a native speaker of english, so please give me a clear explanation if there is any difference at all.

Thank you

These kanji are usually explained like this:

• : A very easy joyo kanji that means "evening".
  • : A relatively uncommon joyo kanji that originally means "morning", but this original meaning is largely forgotten. For details, see: Heisig story #30 (Nightbreak) 旦, shouldn't it mean "daybreak" instead?
  • : A non-joyo kanji that means "tide" (strictly speaking, it meant "evening tide", but this meaning is obsolete). It appears in several place/person names and scientific terms, but it's a rare kanji otherwise.

So only 夕 means "evening". Please check if you are using correct learning resources. (Seriously, is your source really about Japanese?)

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you for clarifying. Actually I'm using Heisig's book lol. I had the same problem that OP from your linked question had. About the last kanji, read merriam-webster.com/dictionary/eventide have cause to me some misunderstanding. I'm really grateful. – Mycroft Apr 18 at 1:23
  • Just to confirm, 旦 really means "morning" even if it meaning is forgotten, right? – Mycroft Apr 18 at 1:26
  • Wait... so what is the difference between 旦 and 朝 ? Does 旦 means "dawn" (when the morning is starting)? – Mycroft Apr 18 at 1:49
  • I knew it! I owe my kanji recognition skills to Heisig's RTK, but do note that he tends to use less common meanings of kanji as keywords. Be careful of that. By the way, have you just started RTK? @Mycroft – rebuuilt Apr 18 at 1:55
    @Mycroft I used Anki along with this deck: ankiweb.net/shared/info/1862058740 When I was studying for JLPT N3, I suspended all JLPT N1 kanji. This is so that I can focus on the more common characters. After passing N3, that's when I studied JLPT N1 kanjis. – rebuuilt Apr 18 at 3:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.