I heard in animes the term おら. I am assuming by context it is actually 俺. Why is it pronounced this way? Is the kanji for おら a different kanji and not 俺? Is おら a childish way to saying 俺?

Related (duplicate?): japanese.stackexchange.com/q/12806/7810 Apr 15, 2020 at 11:19
  • It is just written sometimes in kanji and sometimes in kana. Does this answer the question?
    – dgg32
    Apr 15, 2020 at 14:17
  • ^ ?? Are you aware that the reading of 俺 is お and not お ? @dgg
    – chocolate
    Apr 15, 2020 at 14:34
  • In jisho.org, the おら entry states: also written 俺 and 俺ら. The site has shown 己 for おら search however.
    – dgg32
    Apr 15, 2020 at 14:38

2 Answers 2

Version 1: おれは (ore wa) pronounced quickly or with exaggerated stress on お may sound like “oraa” (sometimes denoted in writing as 俺ぁ or similar). 俺ぁいつだって古賀ちゃんにデレッデレよ! Source: うにゃ@Pixiv

Could this be your situation?

Version 2: Hinted by comments, I could find some Crayon Shin-Chan (クレヨンしんちゃん) manga samples and indeed he seems to be using オラ as a personal pronoun.

Ora to Kaachan wa Otomodachi nano yo Hen

I guess we can’t say for sure which one you have without listening to the audio or seeing closed captions (subtitles) for the show.

Version 3: there also exists an old pronoun おいら (can be both singular or plural), and a female オラ in some dialects.

So does that mean is I am to use 俺ぁ、the sentence 俺ぁは魚が好き would be wrong because that would mean 俺はは魚が好き(Notice the double は). The correct sentence would then be 俺ぁ魚が好き?
    – Newbie
    Apr 15, 2020 at 13:47
  • @Newbie yes, normally you’d have the second case Apr 15, 2020 at 13:48
    「おら=おれは」ってこと? でもクレヨンしんちゃんは「おらのとーちゃん」とか、ドラゴンボールの悟空も「おらに元気を分けてくれ」とか言うし
    – chocolate
    Apr 15, 2020 at 16:40
  • @Chocolate 「俺は」がなまった「俺ぁ」が「おら」と聞こえた、という話かと。「俺」とは異なる一人称としての「おら」があるのでややこしいですが…
    – Spoonail
    Apr 16, 2020 at 4:24
    @Spoonail If I interpret correctly, 俺ぁ and おら are 2 different things? 俺ぁwould mean 俺は , but おら on the other hand, is just a first person pronoun?
    – Newbie
    Apr 16, 2020 at 10:35

I heard in animes the term おら. I am assuming by context it is actually 俺.

Yes it is equivalent to おれ.

Why is it pronounced this way?

Dialect difference.

Is the kanji for おら a different kanji and not 俺?

I don't know if おら even has a kanji version since it is a dialect difference.

Is おら a childish way to saying 俺?

No, it is a dialect difference. There is also at least おいら and probably lots more variations. Also, although the textbook will tell you that おれ is strictly for men, women may also use it depending on the dialect.

• If it is a dialectal difference, it would be worth mentioning at least one example of where it is used.
    – a20
    May 16, 2020 at 22:04

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .