Like probably everbody I have a hard time with Keigo. I get the basic concept of in-group and out-group and neutral-group but I am really confused about switching between 丁寧語 and 謙譲語 when talking about things that I would count to in-group matters because the concern me in some way.

For example I was told that if you introduce yourself in a job interview, you wouldn't use 謙譲語, so you would just say 来年卒業します instead of 来年卒業致します。Is that because you would lower your university with you? But if I google it, I find results saying 卒業致します... x.x

Also when my boss asks me about where I went for holidays, to answer スペインに行って参りました。sounds "good, but very polite" according to a Japanese friend of mine and he meant that just スペインにいってきました。 would be better. But he couldn't tell me why... x.x Is it because, if my boss asks me a somewhat personal question or wants to have small talk with me, it's already a signal that he wants a more relaxed atmosphere and I am allowed and supposed to answer in just 丁寧語?

And one last situation. When asked by my boss if I could finish something until noon, I was told it's fine to just answer はい、できます。or はい、間に合います。 instead of something like はい、お仕上げできます。 It's not considered belonging to the neutral group if someone asks me if I am capable of doing x, is it? But then why…

I am so confused ... x.x

I think that the first and second examples are too polite to be awkward from your supervisor's perspective. I think that your boss would like you to be closer to him. I assume that he might think that you are afraid of him? The last sentence is just wrong. お+verb is not Kenzyougo but Sonkeigo.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.