NOTE: The title of the post is regarding the most bugging part of the sentence to me (長い), but my problem is with the sentence as a whole.

I came across a sentence in my grammar exercises book I can't quite understand. I get the general meaning of the sentence, but I am unable to identify what grammar is used here. The original passage is as follows (the troubling sentence is in bold):

[状況]リーは1っか月前に日本に来た。

日本人: リーさんは日本語が本当にお上手ですね。もう日本に来て長いんですか

I would translate it as:

Japanese person: Rii, you are really good at Japanese. Has it passed much time since you came to Japan? (not sure about the second sentence)

Assuming my translation is right, I would rather say something along the lines of:

日本にきてから長い時間が経ったんですか。

I can't figure out the function of もう and 長い alone, not modifying any noun. Any thoughts on this?

よろしくお願いします。

"Has it been long since you came to Japan?" -- what noun does "long" modify in this English sentence? – macraf Apr 13 at 20:30
    I am sorry, I am not an English native speaker, so an explanation rather than a comparison to English expressions would be appreciated. – jarmanso7 Apr 13 at 21:10

「日本にきてから長い時間が経ったんですか。」

is almost as same as the original sentence :「もう日本に来て長いんですか。」.

This 「もう」 is "explicitly" intensifying 「長い(時間が経った)」 since the author is surprised at proficiency of Rii's Japanese and they want to make sure how much time has passed(estimating it should be/may be very long!).  

Technically speaking, your sentence:「日本にきてから長い時間が経ったんですか。」may be implicitly intensifying 「長い時間が経った」, but it is difficult to be known without context.

The definition of 「もう」 from 大辞林

① 時間や程度が、ある基準や節目を超える意を表す。もはや。 「 -あれから一年たつ」 「 -これ以上食べられない」

• もうあれから一年たつ : "It's been already one year passed since then."

• もうこれ以上食べられない : "I can't eat any more."

Without 「もう」 can be the same as my translation. However, with「もう」it emphasizes it has already been beyond some "standard/capacity".

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.