I just stumbled across the following sentence:

来週から家庭に布のマスクを送り始める

And was wondering what kind of construct this 送り始める is. 送り is no verb-ending known to me but looks like the stem of the -masu form (infinite?). Is this a common pattern to link two verbs? Is there any grammatical name for this concept so I can find more information about it?

So far I only learnt that the te form can be used to combine two verbs: 送って始める, but I guess in that case they are shifted in time?!

Verb Masu + 始める is an example of a compound verb in which the dominant meaning comes from Verb 1 and a qualification comes from Verb 1. In the case of 送り始める, the dominant meaning is taken from Verb 1 (送る to send) and the qualification comes from Verb 2 (始める to start, to begin). The overall meaning becomes "to start sending" or "to start to send". Other examples:

話し始める to begin to speak
食べ始める to start eating
降り始める to start falling

There are many other compound verbs in Japanese. A quick search on this site will show up plenty of other instances.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.