A couple of weeks ago I learned in my course the usage of the て-Form which were:

• Chaining verbs together , all of which are written in the で-Form and the last one is written with the polite form. The last verb can indicate if the action happened in the past or present/future (ます/、ました)
  • Asking someone to do something, for example: まって ください
  • Saying that you are currently doing an action: アメリカに すんで います

I want to learn about the other usages of the た-Form since I know that both forms are written very similarly. I tried to search online about the Usage and no luck. All I know about it is that it's the plain past form.

So, in practice, all I know is the I can write in two ways something I did in the past:

• ビルを のみました.
  • ビルを のんだ.

My main question is what are the main usages of the た-Form? Is it like the て-Form ? Is there a site that explains it more deeply ?

I think that the て-Form has so many usages because it turns the verb in an adverb in a way, whereas the た-Form is just the conjugation for a verb into its past form. There are grammar points such as たほうが that use the た-Form without the "past" meaning, but they include more elements than just a verb ending in the た-Form
    – jarmanso7
    Apr 10 '20 at 22:45
    As jarmanso7 says た is nowhere near as flexible as て. I can only think of one other use, which is described in this link: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/40733/… Apr 11 '20 at 8:42

Thanks to the comments a little research, I am able to assemble a humble answer. These are the main usages of the た-Form:

• 1st one is the obvious, which is the option to say a verb in it's past tense plainly.

this raises a personal question (which I do not want to discuss here) which is: can I chain multiple た-Forms like the て-Form?

• 2nd is saying "probably did something" by doing this -> [た-Form + だろ/でしょう]. here's an example of a site I visit often to get a verb's full conjugation(Drink Example) -> 飲んだだろう / 飲んだでしょう
  • 3rd is taken from user3856370's comment link page; "Discovery and Recall". For a "Discovery Expression", we can conjugate ある/いる to the た-Form to add a "discovery" sound to it (Just as you hear in anime the verb 見つけ!).

Summary: I think that た-Form, as said by jarmanso7, is much less flexible since "the た-Form is just the conjugation for a verb into its past form", where's the て-Form is mainly used to chain various expressions (This video,at 0:23, explains what the て-Form is). It has no direct (what so ever) indication about the time the verb occurred. Rather, the nonて-Form that is attached to it, indicates the time and meaning.

• 食べて ください ("Please eat" expression)
  • (私は) 食べて 飲みました ("I ate and drank", the last verb indicating that the "eating" was done in the past).

In short, the て-Form was meant for modification, where's the た-Form is mainly used for past plain tense.

• I recommend you to make a new post if you have new questions, rather than asking a new question in an answer. You can always add a link to the new question in this answer for reference.
    – jarmanso7
    Apr 12 '20 at 20:42
  • Oh, about if you multiple chain multiple Ta-Forms ? I know, sorry. It wasn't really meant to ask a new question, but provide my own thoughts on the subject. I'll hide it to not mislead the purpose of my answer
    – ASD_ASD
    Apr 12 '20 at 21:38

According to Kunihiro there are 9 usages for ーた form.

1. A situation completed in the past or that lasted for a certain length of time in the past:

Haha ni tegami o kai-TA ‘I WROTE a letter to my mother.’

1. Habitual repetition in the past:

Ano koro wa yoku undoo si-TA ‘I USED TO EXERCISE frequently in those days.’

1. A situation that occurred under a certain circumstance in the past:

Kaeru to sugu ni te o arat-TA ‘I WOULD WASH my hands immediately after I got home.’

1. A situation that materialized in the past and still exists:

Ookiku nat-TA ne ‘You’VE GROWN, haven’t you?’

1. Sudden discovery that a certain state has continuously existed (the so-called TA form of discovery; a special case of (4):

A, soko ni i-TA no ‘Oh, there you ARE!’

1. Sudden recalling of a future event or plan that the speaker has known as definite:

A, asita siken ga at-TA ‘Oh, I HAVE an exam tomorrow!’

1. A request for hearer’s confirmation of a fact (normally only in questions):

Anata wa donata desi-TA ka ‘Who ARE you?’

1. Proclamation or assertion of the realization of a situation which has not been realized:

Yosi kat-TA ‘All right, (I’m sold) I’LL BUY it!’

1. A command:

Doi-TA, doi-TA ‘STEP back! STEP back!’

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.