I'm looking for some help in understanding the sentence below. To provide a bit more context one of the characters シュン made a ”変態発言” and then the following exchange occurred:

Girl 1「”変態”って何ですか?」

Girl 2「”さなぎから蝶になる”って意味よ」

Girl 3「正確には完全変態」

Girl 4「せんぱいって完全変態するんだぁ」

Girl 1「シュン君は完全変態、生まれ変わったように頑張るんですね」

I get the idea behind the exchange where 完全変態 is used to mean something like Complete Pervert(referring to him being a pervert) / Complete Metamorphosis(as in a type of metamorphosis in which the larva does not resemble the adult). However what I've gotten myself confused on is how to properly parse the last sentence.

I think I've just confused myself but anyway, is this で just simply であって and not the で that is used with definitions like 動作・作用の原因・理由を表す, 動作・作用の手段・方法・材料などを表す。…を使って.

• I think here で means something like was/were(as a matter of fact) – BladeMight Apr 9 '20 at 15:43

Girl 1: What does “hentai” mean?

Girl 2: It’s when a pupa turns into a butterfly.

Girl 3: Technically that’s “total hentai”.

Girl 4: Huh, so senpai goes through total hentai.

Girl 1: I see. Shun-kun is a total hentai, and that’s why he tries his best as though he was reborn.

Girl 1 makes the connection that he tries as hard as he does because he’s a total hentai. I think this is a であって usage of で and it somewhat expresses a cause/reason. It’s a little different from 風で木が倒れた, where 風 is the 原因 for 木が倒れた, and で would not mean であって because 風 is not being equated with anything. In シュン君は完全変態で, there is an equation of two nouns, and hence this で can be interpreted as the て form of だ. One of the usages of the て form is to express a cause, e.g. 多すぎて in “人が多すぎて友達が見当たらない” (There’s too many people -> I can’t find my friend.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.