Whenever I play Fate/Grand Order, one thing I often hear when I use that game's version of Nero Claudius is her using 余 when referring to herself. Looking it up shows me that this particular pronoun has an archaic and formal flavor to it, as well as having an oratory function. That last bit is what's kinda got me scratching my head.

In what way is 余 oratory? What the proper way to use and understand 余, as a pronoun, and in what context is it most often used?

• Are you asking for an explanation of the term "oratory"? – Leebo Apr 7 at 11:47
  • Specifically how 余 is oratory – Roy Fuentes Apr 7 at 18:32

余 is one for a classic king or a person of equivalent status.

Here are some characters whose first person pronoun is 余:

• 徳川茂々(『銀魂』) Tokugawa Shigeshige (from Gintama,) a shogun
  • メルエム(ハンター×ハンター) Meruem (from Hunter x Hunter,) the king of the Chimera Ants

Moreover, though I can't remember certain character, 余 is also known as 殿様(lord)-ish pronoun.

| improve this answer | |
  • Hmm. Do you know where I can learn more about these sorts of pronouns and language? – Roy Fuentes Apr 7 at 20:52
  • "Archaic personal pronouns" in this page lists classic pronouns like 余 en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_pronouns – Spoonail Apr 9 at 11:51
  • Note: What written in "Level of speech" and "Gender" columns is doubtful. "Notes" column is not so weird at least in "-I/Me-" section and "Archaic personal pronouns" section. – Spoonail Apr 9 at 11:52
  • I love this page though it's a mess a bit... w.atwiki.jp/aniwotawiki/pages/8696.html – Spoonail Apr 9 at 11:54

余 is a first-person pronoun that is virtually heard only in fiction today. Its user is limited to a king, an emperor, a shogun, a demon load or someone of equal status in fantasy/historical works. A female person may use it, too.

I think it's oratorical because it's a highly stilted pronoun mainly used in official audiences, meetings, speeches, etc. When a user of 余 talks to his close friends or children, he may use 私, わし or even 俺 instead. (Of course this depends on the character.)

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.