Good morning, My first post here - I would like to say "we are allowed to do exercise outside" - I had a go, is it correct? そとたいぞおうをゆるされる - or do I need  します in there too? What is the structure grammatically for "be allowed to + verb"? Many thanks in advance, RA

たいぞおう -- Can you double check that's what you meant to type. – Chocolate Apr 7 at 16:41

そとたいぞおうをゆるされる - or do I need します in there too?

This should be something like

そとでのたいそうゆるされる

"taiso" usually means some kind of callisthenics, normally うんどう will mean exercise in general.

そとでの うんどうが ゆるされる

What is the structure grammatically for "be allowed to + verb"?

ゆるされる makes it sound like you are under someone's control, so you can use for example してもいい

そとで うんどう しても いい

| improve this answer | |
  • thank you both, sorry I forgot to say I don't read much kanji, but basically if I try the construction with a verb it would be , for instance, くすりがかいにいくゆるされる ? something tells me it's not correct .... – user38405 Apr 8 at 19:35
  • @user38405 I'd say it as 「[薬]{くすり}  [買]{か}いに[行]{い}くことが[許]{ゆる}されている。」「薬買いに行くことを許されている。」 (を is the object marker. こと is a nominaliser.) or 「薬を買いに行くことができる。」( lit. "(We) are able to go to buy medicines.") or maybe 「薬を買いに行ってもいい。」 – Chocolate Apr 11 at 16:08

For the sake of completeness, if you want to state that you got explicit permission from someone (for example a teacher) to do something, I think that the causative form could be used. According to this definition (emphasis mine, source here):

Japanese Causative Form is a set of conjugation patterns used to describe either making/causing a person (or animal) to do something, or letting a person (or animal) do something.

Applied to your sentence, it would read:

[先生{せんせい}は私{わたし}に]外{そと}で運動{うんどう}させます。The teacher makes me do exercise outside / The teacher allows me to do exercise outside.

Note that using the causative verb along with くれる makes it clear that the teacher is allowing me to do exercise outside, rather than having me to do exercise. I.e., it marks that the causative is used with the meaning"let someone do" rather than "make/cause someone to do":

[先生{せんせい}は私{わたし}に]外{そと}で運動{うんどう}させてくれます。 The teacher allows me to do exercise outside.

"We are allowed to do exercise outside."

You could say:

「[外]{そと}で[運動]{うんどう}することが[許]{ゆる}されています。」
「外で運動することを許されています。」

こと is a nominaliser and turns the verb 運動する into the noun form so that it can be followed by the case particle が or を.

(許されている expresses the state of being permitted. 許される would sound more like an action or event of being permitted.)

or:

「外で運動できます。」 Lit. (We) are able to exercise outside.

or, as @Ben suggested:

「外で運動してもいいです。」 Lit. It's okay if (we) exercise outside. → (We) may exercise outside.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.