When I was sixteen I got my first tattoo and I choose this kanji " 兵 " because I saw that stands for warrior. A couple of years after, I saw that the kanji stands more for "soldiers" than "warrior" (meaning a brave man).

I don't know if the meaning is wrong or it can be disrespectful to the japanese culture.

Thank you for answering!

M.

According to the dictionary (weblio), when pronounced as 'tsuwamono' it would mean warrior in the sense you had hoped for, but when pronounced 'hei' it would mean a soldier of the lowest military rank. I guess the context would determine which, but I'm not a native and I don't know what would immediately come to a Japanese person's mind when they see this kanji. – user3856370 Apr 5 at 10:04
  • nice question; it can also depend on where it is, if the character is by itself or in a phrase, the size, the style, if it's intended as a name, the reason for it, and if it indicates correct stroke order & count; some things don't translate very well, and that concept may be one of those things: actually, it might be more respectful than another character mentioned, hei can be regarded very well, & it can be quiet and unassuming; tsuwamono(likely pronunciation from description in question) seems comparatively noninsulting :) – M H Jul 26 at 11:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.