I know that ~もくそも(ない) is is an expression that can mean: not at all; not even a little​

However I'm still confused at what もクソも in 何かもクソも寝るだけだよ means.enter image description here!

| improve this question | | | | |

This ~もクソも(ない) is a dirty version of ~も何も(ない) described here and here. In slangy speech, 何 in ~も何も can be replaced by クソ, ヘチマ, へったくれ, etc., which are basically metaphors for crappy/meaningless things (see this discussion in Japanese). In this context, he is saying asking "何(か)" to him is meaningless.

何してるの?
What are you doing?

何かもクソも、寝るだけだよ。
= 何かもクソもないよ、寝るだけだよ。
= 何かも何も(ないよ)、寝るだけだよ。
Why d'you ask? I'm just about to go to bed.

| improve this answer | | | | |
    @user3856370 Um, sorry, I do not know that idiom... But yes, he is saying he was asked a stupid question. – naruto Apr 2 at 11:16
    @user3856370 Well, if it's regional, that region certainly isn't Yorkshire (where I'm from). – Aeon Akechi Apr 2 at 14:44
    @AeonAkechi Bizarrely, I'm from Yorkshire. Maybe I should translate to: "It's neither owt n' nowt". – user3856370 Apr 2 at 15:18
    @user3856370 Ohh, that does sound somewhat familiar now that you put it like that. – Aeon Akechi Apr 2 at 17:10
    It's neither owt n' nowt ? わからんww – Chocolate Apr 3 at 3:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.