I've come across the sentence

父は休みの日はずっとテレビを見ている。(My father spends his days off watching television all the time.)

where it doubles in using the は particle. From another post, it seems that this would be a valid sentence if one of the particles marks the topic, while the other marks a constrast. Yet in this case, it seems that both particles mark the topic as I don't believe there is anything obvious to contrast. Would I happen to be missing something here?

"there is anything obvious to contrast" -- don't you think 休みの日は marks contrast with weekdays?
    – macraf
    Apr 1 '20 at 9:43
  • @macraf I did consider that, but from the 2nd answer in the linked post, the pattern given seems very distinct from this one, so I'm not too certain on that part.
    – user154989
    Apr 1 '20 at 9:50
  • (besides the other answer being not a canonical one) "the pattern given seems very distinct" -- really? Is that because in the examples for "Contrast of objects", like: 「イタリア語は話せないんですが、韓国語は話せますよ!」 "I cannot speak Italian, but I can speak Korean", OP did not include 「私は」?
    – macraf
    Apr 1 '20 at 9:58
  • @macraf I think I see what you're saying. In the sample senteces, all instances of は are for contrast, so it means in all of the sentences we could insert new は so long as they mark the topic, or provide additional contrast, but never the topic twice? That does make sence, but if 休みの日 marks contrast with weekdays, why couldn't 父 mark contrast with 母 or 弟?
    – user154989
    Apr 1 '20 at 17:22
    My intuition as a native speaker also says this is more like a "double-topic" sentence rather than a contrastive sentence; replacing the second は with に does not change the nuance largely, which might imply the second は is not contrastive. I also wonder how this type of sentence is explained by grammarians. Meanwhile, I can say this sentence is perfectly natural.
    – naruto
    Apr 2 '20 at 2:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.