I'm slowly, very very slowly working through this story here while I study kanji (using kanjidamage) and with basic Japanese grammar skills, very much a beginner.

間 seems to be leaning toward 'period of time'

However, this section suggest more like "intruding into a group" or something, like ones little brother trying to slowly make himself a part of you and your friends group of makebelieve super sentai band.

ある日を境に俺とヴィンスの間に混ざるようになったエミーは、木の枝を見つけてきては、勝ち気な青い目を長い金髪の間に覗かせながら、俺たちの間に入ってきた。

Is that true? Or is it still more like a period of time? Like a process or something? Also, how is it read? "Ma"? A furigana addon I downloaded puts "ma" over the 間, as does Google translate.

This 境に is part of ある日を境に, which is AをBに construction. Literally, "with one day as a turning point", or simply, "after one certain day". – naruto Mar 30 at 21:37

ある日を境に俺とヴィンスの間に混ざるようになったエミーは、木の枝を見つけてきては、勝ち気な青い目を長い金髪の間に覗かせながら、俺たちの間に入ってきた。

It is read as 「あいだ」. In the first (俺とヴィンスの間に) and third (俺たちの間に) usages of this sentence, it means "among" or "within". It could mean "between" as far as a spatial distance, but without context from previous sentences, I'd say it's unlikely.

In the second usage (長い金髪の間に), it means like "between" or even "through". But that's the beauty of Japanese; you don't have to know which exact definition it is to understand the overall meaning!

See definitions 1 and 5 here.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.