How to say "pretend as if carrots tastes like chicken and eat it"

人参が鶏肉ふりをして食べて

or would

人参が鶏肉まねをして食べて

be better?

What an unreasonable demand! :D But anyway...

鶏肉味の人参だと思って食べて

鶏肉の味がする人参のつもりで食べて

ふり and まね only work when someone changes their own behavior to display to others:

警官のまねをする act as if one is (mock/play) a police officer

気づかないふりをする feign that one does not notice

and not when you force yourself to feel something.

| improve this answer | |
  • By "and not when you force yourself to feel something", what do u mean? 気づかないふりをする sounds to me like I'm forcing myself to feel something. Did you mean forcing someone else rather than myself to feel something? – Newbie Mar 29 at 16:38
  • @Newbie Oh I mean in a situation you actually notice it, but never tell or let others know that you do because you don't want to worry them or something. Not for deceiving yourself. Do you have any suggestion of less ambiguous English for this? – broccoli facemask - cloth Mar 29 at 16:45
  • feigning ignorance perhaps. Just to be sure, まね and ふり cannot be used on 2nd person? (and third) – Newbie Mar 29 at 17:36
  • @Newbie (1) Thank you I'll take that. (2) Do you mean what I wrote "when you change your own behavior"? I intended the generic "you"... – broccoli facemask - cloth Mar 29 at 17:42
    @Newbie I rather say ふり is to make others believe that you are X, and what I explained is make yourself believe that you are X. Or did I make a wrong assumption? When I first looked at your example I visualized a scene parent talking to their child who doesn't eat vegetables, but if it's like an instruction to actor while taking a prank video or such, using ふり is perfectly fine. – broccoli facemask - cloth Mar 30 at 2:37

Usually I see "pretend" represented by 振【ふ】りをする.

The basic grammar rules are verb / i-adjective + 振【ふ】りをする:

何【なに】も知【し】らない振【ふ】りをする。- Pretend you don't know anything.

気【き】持【も】ちを傷【きず】つけたくなかったから、おいしい振【ふ】りをした。- In order to not hurt his feelings, I pretended it tasted good.

Noun + の + 振【ふ】りをする:

彼【かれ】と会【あ】いたくなかったから、風邪【かぜ】の振【ふ】りをした。- I pretended to have a cold, because I didn't want to meet him.

Na-adjective + NA + 振【ふ】りをする:

シャイな振【ふ】りをする。- To pretend you are shy.

"pretend as if carrots tastes like chicken and eat it":

ニンジンが鶏【とり】肉【にく】のような味【あじ】がする振【ふ】りをして、食【た】べて。

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.