The book didn't cover a lot about ni but I know that it is used to tell what time it is or where you are going. but nothing like this. the best explanation I found was that it could also be used as an indirect object marker. but how and why that works I don't understand. As said before, we didn't cover a lot about ni. Thank you in advance

Too long for a comment so I write it as an "answer".

As you said, に can be used as an indirect object marker. For example: I write an email to my colleague.

1. email is the direct object
  2. colleague is the indirect object

(私は)同僚メールを書く。

As far as I know there are some "special words", which call for に as a particle. ...聞く (to ask) or ...会う (to meet) [Perhaps someone else can extend this list] So in your case, we have "ask the teacher". 先生に聞きました.

Note that this does not mean, that you can always use に with this "special words" as a particle, if other rules apply. (In my opinion these cases are very rare^^)

1. 友達に会った。
  2. 友達と会ったのが幸いだった。
| improve this answer | |

昨日{きのう}私{わたし}も分{わ}からなかったから、先生{せんせい}に聞{き}きました。

You're right that this particular に (ni) is the indirect object marker. 聞く (kiku) is a transitive verb which means "to ask" in this context. The object it takes is the thing that is asked rather than the person being asked, so it can take both に (ni) and を (wo) at the same time e.g.

先生質問聞きました
sensei ni shitsumon wo kikimashita
I asked teacher a question.

As for why the person your asking requires に, well that's just a quirk of this verb (kiku) that you need to learn.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.