How do I say 'fellow sweet tooth' (noun) in japanese. I'd thought it would be either 甘党仲間 or 甘党同僚 but there's probably something more accurate

• In what context (e.g. sentence) are you planning to use it? I'm asking this because noun usage referring to people could be intricate in Japanese. – broccoli forest Mar 23 at 8:40
  • @broccoliforest Sentence: As a fellow sweet tooth, lets go to a cake buffet. I'd thought of 同甘党, but not sure if such a word exists – Newbie Mar 23 at 10:38
  • Very very helpful context. That's why I needed it before I'd write a pointless answer. – broccoli forest Mar 23 at 11:01

The word "fellow" in English is often too casually used to find an all-around translation.

Moreover, in the provided context:

As a fellow sweet tooth, let's go to a cake buffet.

this fellow practically stands for "me, who am one of" and probably "me, like you guys". In this case, I don't think any literal-ish translation of "fellow" works.

Natural ways to express it would be:

甘党の一人として、ケーキ食べ放題に行きたい[です]
(同じ)甘党どうし、ケーキ食べ放題に行[かない/きませんか]?
甘党のみんな、ケーキ食べ放題に行[こう/きましょう]
[plain/polite]

甘党仲間 sounds somewhat not right in this context, because it's like talking about the third party, or from a distant view point. 同僚 is unusable at all, as it only means "colleague".

For calling out purpose, how about "甘党諸君?" When you want to just refer them, "甘党仲間" should be fine.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.