Were I to think that a demographic such as young, healthy adults might have "near immunity" to COVID-19, the Japanese that comes to my mind is 不死身.

若くて、健康がようさそうなので、田中さんはCOVID-19に不死身でしょうか。

general context: "Everyone says not to do Y because X might happen. But you want to express a brazen disregard for that advice. You want to express that you could care less if X happens to you and/or, you consider it impossible X could possibly happen to you (for whatever reason)."

いや、私は不死身です。

Is that correct? What is the correct word that sounds natural in a conversation?

不死身 means "immortal" rather than "immune"... – naruto Mar 19 at 21:16
  • @naruto yes. I see the kanji for "death" in the word. So, i don't know the correct word for a brazen expression of "I am immune to that". – user312440 Mar 19 at 21:20

不死身 is inappropriate because it means "immortal" rather than "immune". It doesn't work even as a joke because ~に不死身だ is not a thing. (If someone is "immortal only to one thing", doesn't that mean he is not immortal in the first place?)

"To be immune to ~" is ~に免疫がある (lit. "have immunity against ~"), so you can say 新型コロナウイルスに免疫がある. (Strictly speaking, COVID-19に免疫がある is incorrect because COVID-19 is a disease name, not a virus name.) Alternatively you can say ~に耐性がある ("to be resistant to ~"). Whether they work as serious statements or as sarcastic remarks completely depends on the context.

| improve this answer | |
  • Can you really not use 免疫 with diseases? Saying you are immune against a particular disease is perfectly valid English, if not the most natural. – Christer Mar 20 at 0:24
    IMO you can use it like that in everyday speech (like in English), but in technical/medical speech it’s more accurate/correct to say that you have immunity to the virus, since that is what you have antibodies for. – Darius Jahandarie Mar 20 at 1:20
  • @Christer I found many English examples of "immune to cervical cancer" but almost no example of 頸癌への免疫/頚癌に免疫/etc, so there might be some difference in acceptance between the two languages. Either way, it's always safer to say "immune to HPV". – naruto Mar 20 at 1:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.