For the word 九日 (ここのか{LHHH}), both OJAD and weblio agree on the pitch accent of the word itself, but for the particle that comes afterwords (say 九日の), they differ by this:

OJAD: ここのかの{LHHHH}
weblio: ここのかの{LHHHL}

From what I can see both sources seem fairly reliable, so does this mean that both pitches are considered standard?

2 Answers 2

Sometimes a word does have multiple "valid" pitch accent patterns. Daijirin often lists multiple pitch downstep numbers for terms that have them, like, say, the entry for とらまえる, which lists patterns 4 and 3. That said, the Daijirin entry for ここのか only lists pitch pattern 4, with a downstep after the fourth mora.

Checking in my local copy of the NHK アクセント辞典, they list two patterns -- 4 for the noun, and 0 (no downstep) for the adverb. However, a bit confusingly, both entries (noun and adverb) include the same sample sentence:

あと​ココノカデ{LHHHL}期限が来る (noun)

あと​ココノカデ{LHHHH}期限が来る (adverb)

It seems that Daijirin wound up using one pattern, and OJAD the other, but if the NHK is anything to go by, it looks like both patterns 4 and 0 are recognized as correct.

The 2016 version of NHK lists them as 4 for the noun and 0 for the adverb and the examples correctly reflect that ココノカニ{LHHHL}退院した, ココノカ{LHHH}たった.
    – keji
    Apr 13, 2020 at 16:33
  • @keji -- I have electronic version 1.02, but frustratingly, I cannot find when this version was published. Good to know that they added better examples in the 2016 version. Apr 13, 2020 at 16:58

I personally read 九日から like ここのかから【LHHHHH】, but ここのかから【LHHHLL】 is also acceptable. 九日の天気 is read both like ここのかのてんき【LHHHHHLL】 and ここのかのてんき【LHHHLHLL】, but I feel the former is more common.

Some words are pronunced in two ways depending on the speaker. See: ズボン pronunciation variation & explanation for and Are there any rules to the intonations they are discussing in this video?

FWIW, Google Translate agrees with me.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .