I had a look before deciding to post this, but nothing really answers what I am specifically looking for.

From my understanding the following is correct (let me know if I am mistaken):

宿題をしてしまいましたか? Did you finish your homework? - Bringing something to a close or finish

宿題を忘れてしまいました。 I forgot my homework. - To accidentally do or not do something.

However I don't quite understand what it means when used with ば conditions. I think it may mean "All I have to do is ~" but I am not sure. For example:

宿題をしてしまえばいい(not sure if this is even grammatically correct) All I have to do is my homework.

逃げてしまえばいい。 All I have to do is run away.

If someone could please explain this to me using some more example sentence that would be great. Thanks.

~てしまえばいい usually means "It's better to just do ~ (despite the risk)", "should stop worrying and do ~ ", etc. Here are related questions:

逃げてしまえばいい means something nuanced like "(Rather than confronting the difficulty) [I/you] should stop worrying and just run away".

宿題をしてしまえばいい is grammatically correct, but is semantically unlikely to happen. This may be used in a rare situation where doing homework right now might be a bad idea.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.