Context: production of a copper-plated stainless steel sheet (Cuめっきステンレス鋼板)

What is the meaning of 融着 in the following sentence?

多重巻きパイプ造管時のロールとの摺動によるCuめっき層のはく離を抑制し、Cuめっき層同士を加熱により融着させる際に起こる未融着部(ボイド)の発生を抑制することができるCuめっきステンレス鋼板を提供する。

I understand the meaning of the whole sentence except for 融着. Judging from the first kanji, it must have something to do with fusion, adhesion or bonding, but I can't find the exact meaning on any dictionary. Here's my translation attempt of the part in bold:

... prevent the appearance of 未融着 parts (voids) that occur when 融着させる the copper-plated layer by heating.

Could you also explain how to interpret that 同士? Thank you for your help!

EDIT: I don't know if this can be of any help, but later in the same document there is a table that shows the technical properties of the copper-plated stainless steel sheet with a value named ブレ一ジング模擬加熱後のボイド発生率.

Probably you are checking the patent of 多重巻きパイプ用Cuめっきステンレス鋼板およびその製造方法 by 日新製鋼. I do not understand the whole detail of the patent for sure, but 融着{ゆうちゃく} should be related to 「セルフブレージング」: "self-brazing" since the background:「背景」of the patent says

『多重巻きパイプは、Cuめっきを施した鋼帯を造管用ロールで巻き回してパイプ形状に造管し、還元性ガス雰囲気中でCuの融点以上に加熱することによってCuめっき層同士を融着するセルフブレージング以下、ブレージング)を行うことで製造される。』

The other patent by 日新製鋼 has the image of manufacturing process of self-brazing.

It says 『1が冷延鋼板: Cold-formed steel、2が銅めっき層: The layer of copper-plated、3がセルフブレ−ジングにより形成された銅融着層: the copper-fluxed layer shaped by self-brazing』

So, copper should be fluid in the joining process. Therefore, I hope the verb "flux" is enough for this brazing:「ブレージング」process to say 「融着」.

enter image description here

All in all, I am not an expert of metal-working process and I hope someone else know more can confirm the interpretation.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you for your answer and for kindly researching about the subject! Could you also explain the 同士 in the sentence? Thanks! – Marco Mar 16 at 4:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.