This greatly depends on context, but when I am clearly being introduced to someone's mother, in English, I will sometimes say "Oh. Is this your sister?." as a compliment. The intended compliment being that she looks one generation younger than she clearly is not.

What about in Japanese. Were I to be being introduced to someone who is the mother of someone, and I were to say 「あ、お姉さんですか」 is there any chance that would come off as creepy, impolite, or too awkward? I just want to sound clever and clearly be giving a complement to the older woman and get everyone to smile. Of course, this is so minor I've no problem with never doing it.

It's quite opinion-based, but I find it mildly funny (as a joke) and works as compliment too. Your specific wording 「あ、お姉さんですか」 doesn't sound weird, except I can't check your pronunciation technically. Also, I may be prejudiced but Americans are generally regarded fond of jokes, so you don't have to worry much if the specific one bombed.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.