What mnemonic phrase / jingle, if any, is used by Japanese children to memorize the あかさたなはまやらわ sequence?

Or could you come up with some?

To help myself memorize this, I could possibly fashion an English jingle (where Satana is doomed to figure), but a straight Japanese sentence would be more suitable as a mnemonic device.

I believe Japanese children do not use special mnemonics. I mastered the sequences of あかさたなはまやらわ, いきしちにひみいりい, うくすつぬふむゆるう, えけせてねへめえれえ and おこそとのほもよろを using the latter half of this children's song (written by a famous poet), and this was probably when I was a kindergartner. I still clearly remember these five sequences almost like standard words, although I have forgotten the remaining parts of the song. Children can remember something like this fairly quickly, and it's much harder for them to remember a long sentence.

If you are interested in mnemonics for JSL learners, please see Ben's answer for an example.

| improve this answer | |

I don't know what phrase is used by Japanese children but the sequence あかさたなはまやらわ is called go-juu-on (五十音). Wikipedia has these ones:

Ah, Kana Symbols: Take Note How Many You Read Well. and

Ah, Kana. Surely Take Note How Many You Read Well. and

Kana Signs, Think Now How Much You Really Want (to learn them). and also

A Kind Samurai Told Naomi How My Yak Ran Wild.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goj%C5%ABon#Mnemonics

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.