There is an exercise problem in my workbook:

木村さん:明日は奈良を案内しますよ。
張さん:ありがとうございます。

Four options are provided (I only list the two that I find confusing):

1.張さんは木村さんに奈良を案内してもらいます。
4.木村さんは張さんに奈良を案内してくれます。

and one is asked to choose the one that has the same meaning as the dialogue. The answer given is the 1st one, but I chose the 4th one and still don't know why it's wrong.

Four options are provided (I only list the two that I find confusing):

1.張さんは木村さんに奈良を案内してもらいます。

This one is OK.

4.木村さんは張さんに奈良を案内してくれます。

This is wonky, should be あげます on the end.

The answer given is the 1st one, but I chose the 4th one and still don't know why it's wrong.

くれます doesn't work here because くれる contains the speaker's gratitude/emotion, so if you use くれます it's always something done by someone for you or yours. Note that 4. isn't grammatically wrong at all, it just doesn't fit the situation.

In the following situation it would work: I don't want to show Chou-san around Nara, and Kimura offers to do it for me, so I say to someone "木村さんは張さんに奈良を案内してくれます。" The reason it's wrong here is that it just doesn't fit the meaning required.

So, くれる can't be used to express the idea that a person (he/she) does something for another person (he/she), but あげる can. くれる can only be used in a situation where a person in a more remote relation does something for another person in a closer relation. Is my understanding right? – Mathis Mar 9 '20 at 9:28
    Yes, くれる sounds strange in 4 but あげる is OK in those neutral cases. – user36788 Mar 9 '20 at 9:29
    くれる is fine too, and which between くれる and やる is appropriate depends on which between 張 and 木村 is closer to the speaker. If the former is, it's くれる. – user4092 Mar 9 '20 at 14:03
  • @user4092 - Thank you for your insight. What part of the answer I posted do you disagree with? – user36788 Mar 9 '20 at 21:51
    @user4092 - I asked one native speaker about this, she said that my answer was correct. I'll try to find some more people to ask. – user36788 Mar 12 '20 at 6:49

When #1 is correct, #4 is correct too. So, the question in your workbook doesn't make sense.

When you can say 張さんは木村さんに案内してもらう, you psycologically perceive Chen closer to you than Kimura in your perspective. In this regard, 木村さんは張さんを案内してくれる means the same situation with a different subject.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.