I'm having trouble understanding the following sentence from a small Pokémon comic I found online.

それに本当に自分と同じ色だったら同族嫌悪して自分から近づくはずがない.

Here's a link to the comic for context: https://e621.net/posts/569425 (The ad at the top of the page may be NSFW.)

I'm able to parse the sentence just fine, but when I put it all together it doesn't make sense to me.

Here's my translation: In addition, if they really are the same color as myself, it's impossible for me to approach them because I hate the same type as myself.

The reason why it doesn't make sense to me is because the Pikachu already tried to approach the Lucario in the first panel, so why are they thinking it would be impossible to approach now?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

This ~だったら~はずがない is counterfactual hypothesis (事実に反する仮定).
"If... were..., ... wouldn't have done...", implying "As... is not..., ... did..."

So it's like:

それに本当に自分と同じ色だったら同族嫌悪して自分から近づくはずがない
i.e. 「本当に自分と同じ色ではないので、自分から近づい。」
(「自分から近づいたということは、本当に自分と同じ色ではないということだ。」)

It means:

"In addition / Also, if they really were the same color as myself, I would never have approached them, because I hate the same type as myself."
i.e. "I approached them because they are not really the same color as myself."
(The fact that I approached them shows/proves that they are not the same color as me.)

It's also clear from the previous line:
あの色は人を引き寄せてる。自分とは違う色なんだ
"(Unlike mine,) Their color attracts others. It's a different color from mine."

| improve this answer | |

Looking at the comic you provided, the situation is an "either/or" one. The clue is in the のか at the end of the centre right panel. "Will they love me or hate me?" type of thing. It's vaguely worded and uses the spacing of the words in the panel to imply some of the meaning. The pictures seem to be just what the character with the long ears will imagine might happen.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.