I am struggling with the meaning of this sentence:

「いい人そうな方ですが…いい人なだけに…ね」

(Context: Two students are walking down the hallway and are casually talking to each other, while a guard person or something mistakes them for making out and scolds them for that. After the guard introduces himself, one of the students says the sentence above.)

Consindering this: Meaning of "だけに" Could it mean: Because X is a good person, X is said to be a good person? (If X would not be a good person X would not be said to be a good person)

This link may be related, but I still can't work out the meaning: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/15039/… – user3856370 Mar 8 at 14:30
  • I initially put that link into my question as well, but I somehow got the feeling that it is not the same pattern here... – Himula Mar 8 at 14:46
  • (To extent on the context: The reaction of the "guard" seemed to be way over the top and he says it is his work to keep the students' proper behavior) I think that the pattern linked in the question and explained in the video (in the original question) is more similar than the one in japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/15039/…; however, the word order does not "quite fit" with this one as well. – Himula Mar 8 at 14:52

Yes this ~だけに means "exactly because ~", "~, and for that very reason", etc.

いい人そうな方ですが…
He seems nice/honest/earnest, however...

いい人なだけに…
it's such a person who...
exactly because he is an "honest" person...

you know (what I mean).

So instead of explicitly saying the last part of the sentence, this person said ね, which is working like "you know what I mean". The implied message completely depends on the context. From the provided context it should be something negative like "he ended up taking his job too seriously", "he is honest to a fault", or "he is too naive".

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.