Recently, I found out that 合わせる can go with many particles.

Jisho gives here (https://jisho.org/search/%E5%90%88%E3%82%8F%E3%81%9B%E3%82%8B) some examples on this:

1. あなたの計画{けいかく} 私{わたし} 合わせなさい。Your plan must fit in with
    mine.
  2. 君の答{こた}え 彼{かれ}の答{こた}え 合わせてみなさい。Check your answers with his.

And on NHK easy Japanese news:

1. 薬を売る店の中には、マスク 栄養{えいよう}がある飲物など 合わせて高く売っている店がありました。

And on my smartphone app, as an example:

1. 彼女は花 ピント 合わせようとした。

So, と and に are used to match 私 respectively 答え or 飲物 with the object of 合わせる. But in example 4, absolutely no を-particle is used

So my question: are を-, と- and に-Particles here interchangeable? Or does their use depend on properties of the object e.g. like animate vs inanimate (私 vs. 答え) and maybe others, too? Thanks a lot!

• Does your app really say 花にピント合わせる? That's clearly wrong. – naruto Mar 7 at 21:21
  • Yes, it is exactly written like that, see tatoeba.org/eng/sentences/show/90806 maybe it is a typo for を – Quit007 Mar 7 at 21:29
    Okay, but I must that example is wrong. We only say 花にピントを合わせる. – naruto Mar 7 at 21:33

AB合わせる basically means putting A and B together. B is something similar to A.

• ケチャップをマヨネーズと合わせる: two sauces are mixed
  • マスクをドリンクと合わせて売る: two items are treated as a set
  • あなたの計画を私(の計画)と合わせる: two plans are merged, forming a bigger plan
  • 君の答えを彼の答えと合わせなさい: two answers are placed together and compared (the speaker wants you to check his answer and see the difference)

AB合わせる means to make A align with B, to make A the same as B, to coordinate A with B, etc. B is something like an answer, a reference, a standard. A will be modified or adjusted.

• あなたの計画を私(の計画)に合わせる: "your plan" is modified to align with "my plan"
  • ピントを花に合わせる: the focus is adjusted with the flower as the reference
  • 君の答えを彼の答えに合わせなさい: the speaker wants you to change your answer

AにBと合わせる (or AとBに合わせる) is ungrammatical. Your example 4 on Tatoeba is simply wrong.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.