なんて is the て form of なの. What is the difference when using なんて and without. For example:

こんなにつまんないような大人になるなんて思いもしなかった

こんなにつまんないような大人になって思いもしなかった

こんなにつまんないような大人になるって思いもしなかった

なんて is the て form of なの.

No, the なんて is an adverbial particle (副助詞) 「なんて」, derived from 副助詞「など」+ 格助詞「と/とて」. Here's a related thread.

こんなにつまんないような大人になるなんて思いもしなかった。

つまんないような大人 sounds unnatural.
The use of なんて is correct and natural. It can be replaced with とは or などとは, as in:

こんなにつまらない大人になるとは思いもしなかった。
こんなにつまらない大人になるなどとは思いもしなかった。

などとは = など+と+は. The は is here because of the negative なかった.

Colloquial つまない (cf. つまない) would go better with colloquial なんて than rather formal とは or などとは.

こんなにつまんないような大人になって思いもしなかった。

is incorrect. The 大人になって would mean "I became an adult, and...", so 思いもしなかった "I didn't even imagine (that... would...)" wouldn't make much sense. 思いもしなかった needs to follow 「[sentence] + とは / なんて / などとは」.

こんなにつまんないような大人になるって思いもしなかった。

would make sense and can be used in colloquial speech, but it's more natural/correct to use 「なんて」「などとは」「とは」 here.

なんて is the て form of なの.

Is it? Usually only verbs or verb-like adjectives have a te form.

What is the difference when using なんて and without. For example:

こんなにつまんないような大人になるなんて思いもしなかった

The なんて emphasises the surprise of the speaker.

こんなにつまんないような大人になって思いもしなかった

That doesn't seem right to me, it should be なると I think because なって is the te form of naru and it comes before a past tense, but we were thinking in the past what they would become before they became it.

こんなにつまんないような大人になるって思いもしなかった

I think that's OK though. The nante emphasises surprise.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.