I came over this sentence during my study.

ちらっと見ると、彼女も寒さで震えている

I understand the latter half of the sentence, in the sense that "the girl was shivering from the cold". However, I have no idea what does the two と play at the first half of the sentence. My closest guess is that the と from "見ると" is a conditional. But in this case, the conditional does not make sense as "when he glanced at the girl? , she was shivering from the cold. What confused me is that he does not necessarily have to look at the girl to have her shiver from the cold.

Edit: ちらっと , is the と here part of an entire word? or is it acting as a particle

I hope someone could clear up my confusion!

ちらっと見ると

The と in ちらっと is just part of the adverb. The closest possible translation of this into English would be "with".

Edit: ちらっと , is the と here part of an entire word? or is it acting as a particle

Yes, it's part of the word. See the link above.

But in this case, the conditional does not make sense as "when he glanced at the girl? , she was shivering from the cold.

You're quite correct that it means "when (he) glanced at the girl, she was also shivering from the cold". Apart from the question mark that is correct.

| improve this answer | |

As someone already mentioned ちらっと is just one word.

As for your second question, this is from 明鏡国語辞典: (I believe this def. best fits here)

ある事柄の生起や認識のきっかけを表す。「トンネルを抜けると海だ」「家に帰ると食事の支度ができていた」「そんなことを言われると照れるな」

ちらっと見ると、彼女も寒さで震えている

As I look at her, I realize/see that she is shivering as well.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.