I came across the following sentence recently:

バイトらしき女の子に優しく教えてくれた。

Strangely, it was my first time encountering this form of らしい and I understood the meaning immediately, but it brought to mind two questions:

1) How does it differ, if at all, from the suffix っぽい? 2) Is it as archaic as other -き form adjectives tend to be, or is it more commonly used due to the fact that it can be added to essentially any appropriate noun?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

How does it differ, if at all, from the suffix っぽい?

I don't think the two are interchangeable. For one thing, the ppoi suffix is often some kind of negative thing like やすっぽい = cheapo, あきっぽい = easily bored, or something. らしい is just "seems like" or "appears to be" without a negative connotation.

2) Is it as archaic as other -き form adjectives tend to be, or is it more commonly used due to the fact that it can be added to essentially any appropriate noun?

Although the き ending of adjectives is archaic, らしき in particular is not really archaic, it's common in modern Japanese. I don't know what other adjectives ending in き are common. I've never heard "おもしろき" or "あたたかき" so I think that the き suffix is restricted to certain words.

| improve this answer | |
    I don't think っぽい necessarily has a negative connotation. Also, the 〜き inflection of 形容詞 (i-adjectives) is part of the grammar of Classical Japanese. There may be instances like らしき which are commonly used, but I think it's fair to say these are archaic elements of contemporary Japanese. If I understand it correctly, the OP is asking if らしき has an equally "archaic feel" to it as 高き, say. – Earthliŋ Mar 4 at 20:15
    @Earthliŋ - thank you for your clarifications. – Ben Mar 4 at 21:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.