pretty basic question, but I was curious if an adverb needs copula (like a noun, or na-adjective) or not (like an i-adjective).

For example:

1. たいへんだそう or たいへんそう
  2. ぴったり(+だ?)
  3. 私はズバズバ(+だ?)<- can i even use a sentence like this?

In casual/colloquial speech, you can often (but not always) drop the copula だ・です after adverbs such as くたくた、ふらふら、こりごり、がらがら (同じ音を繰り返すもの), がっかり、しっとり、さっぱり (「〇っ〇り」「〇ん〇り」の形のもの) -- those that generally can function as a する-verb or an onomatopoeia.

e.g.

このぬいぐるみはふわふわだ。 → このぬいぐるみ、ふわふわ。
おなかがぺこぺこです。 → おなかぺこぺこ。
このスカートはぴったりだ。 → このスカート、ぴったり。
もううんざりです。 → もううんざり。

たいへんだそう or たいへんそう

Actually, no adverb is used in these examples. The そう's used here are an auxiliary (dictionary form: そうだ), not an adverb. たいへん's used here are both a na-adjective, not an adverb.

But if you're asking whether they can be used at the end of a sentence with no copula attached...

(様態) たいへんそうです。 → たいへんそう。

It's common to use it that way in casual/colloquial speech.

Regarding:

(伝聞) たいへんだそうです。 → たいへんだそう。

It's also okay, though you might see 「~だそう。」 more in the written form (eg ブログやエッセイなど). (In casual/colloquial speech, we often say 「たいへんらしい。」「たいへんみたい。」 or 「たいへんなんだって。」 etc.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.