What's the difference between these 2 sentences:

買ってくると思った
買ってこようと思った

Both of them translates to 'I thought that I'd go and buy'

買ってくると思った。 I understood that someone went shopping and I thought he would buy it but He didn't.

買ってこようと思った。 'I thought that I'd go and buy'  For example. 買ってこようと思ったのに、忘れた。 I thought that I'd go and buy、 but I forgot about it. その話を聞いて、今度買ってこようと思った。 After I had the conversation, I decided to buy it.

• The way you've written it it sounds like the difference is between third person and first person usage. That isn't correct. – user36788 Feb 29 '20 at 8:40
    ^ That isn't correct. <- Oh? But if we native speakers heard you say 買ってくると思った out of the blue, we'd interpret it as "I thought you/s/he/someone would go and buy", and if we heard 買ってこようと思った out of the blue, we'd interpret it as "I was going to / I thought I would go and buy." – Chocolate Feb 29 '20 at 11:38
  • Really? I think I have heard hear native speakers saying this form regarding their own actions. – user36788 Mar 1 '20 at 0:58
    ^ 動詞によるような気がしますね。例えば「8時ごろに帰ると思う」って言ったら "I think I'll come back..." でも "I think s/he will come back..." でもありえますし。(「8時ごろに帰ろうと思う」だったら "I will try to..." みたいな感じ) – Chocolate Mar 1 '20 at 3:13
    @Ben You can apply it to your own action in subjunctive. However, you can't use it to express your intention. – user4092 Mar 1 '20 at 5:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.