So from what I understand, the yuri genre is always written in kanji, like this, 百合. However, I noticed that the title of the anime has yuri written in katakana, ユリ. So if the anime is a yuri series, then why would they write it in katakana instead of kanji?

This is basically an aesthetic choice. There is no "one correct way" to write a made-up phrase like this. In this case, I can think of several possible explanations:

1. Even if yuri is one of the themes of the anime, 百合 in kanji would look too direct and explicit. ユリ in katakana works more like a suggestive keyword, which was enough in this case.
  2. 百合熊嵐 would appear to be a 四字熟語 and thus feel too "traditional" or "serious".
  3. 百合熊嵐 is a little harder to parse and recognize because there is no clear word boundary. On the other hand, anyone can tell ユリ熊嵐 is an eye-catching made-up word instantly.

These may or may not be correct. BTW, ゆるゆり is a similar example. Here the title is in all-hiragana to emphasize the cuteness or easygoing-ness or the work. Someone who sees it for the first time may not recognize it's related to yuri, but that's expected.

Related:

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks @naruto. I was wondering, the genre/slang for yuri is often written in kanji, correct? Second, yuri only means lesbians when you use kanji. As I said before, the kanji for yuri can mean lesbian or the flower. So couldn't kanji be used in this context as a wordplay and be ambigious as kanji could mean/refer to both? So is katakana used to like emphasize in this case then? – Zain Alleck Feb 26 at 7:56
  • @ZainAlleck Yes the genre itself is typically written in kanji in ordinary Japanese sentences, but that does not mean you have to consider it a hard rule and apply it to a peculiar made-up title like this. Regardless of whether it's in kanji, katakana, hiragana or English alphabet, people will eventually understand the word is actually a reference to female-female romance. – naruto Feb 26 at 8:10
  • @zain, ok but in general, for the slang reference, it's mainly written in kanji? Someone said its often writtten in katakana? On that side, 2. On that note, I had a question about ambiguity. So for example, if I wanted to merely hint/imply a character was gay by saying they like lilies because they are symbol of girls love, how would I write saying they like "yuri no hana" Would I use katakana or kanji for yuri no hana? – Zain Alleck Feb 26 at 12:11
  • @ZainAlleck Please keep in mind that 百合, ユリ, ゆり, Yuri, YURI and yuri are essentially the same word regardless of the notation. As I said, it's typically written in kanji in ordinary sentences when it refers to girls' love. However, creating a title is a completely different story that involves all sorts of aesthetic decisions. Whether this word has a sexual connotation completely depends on the context, just like the English word "slash" sometimes has a sexual connotation in certain contexts. – naruto Feb 26 at 15:07
    @ZainAlleck That sentence is about the flower. – naruto Mar 23 at 6:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.