I had a list of items to mention during extended 自己紹介 (like during a lunch or 飲み会). With those whom I also hoped to have friendship-like connection with, I'd also mention "私は次男坊です。" This allowed me to talk about my siblings which I was happy to do. And, I think it made the native speaker smile or laugh a little.

"私は次男坊です。" said alone, in a self-intro conversation, sounds funny, right? why? Would "私は長男です。" sound pretentious?

Or, I could I remembering incorrectly. I also used "次男坊ですから、許してください。" as a way to be self-depricating. In Japanese culture, the 1st born son is king, the second born is trash, so I would (to be funny) excuse my failures to being born the second son (nothing I could control). Maybe they found that 卑下 funny, and there is nothing funny about simply saying "私は次男坊です". Or maybe my overall inability to speak Japanese funny. I hope you can help me remember.

You could have said 兄が1人います, which is fairly neutral. Or 私は次男です should have been better than 私は次男坊です at least a little.

次男坊 is indeed a nuanced word with a certain connotation related to the old Japanese view about family/business inheritance (see this). However, in ordinary business settings in modern Westernized companies, almost no one cares about one's siblings, and the 長男/次男 distinction you described is not a thing. It does not work as an explanation of an error even if a joke is intended.

In your situation, 私は次男坊です is strange even if said by a native speaker, but it might have sounded funnier because it was said by a foreigner. It implies you know a difficult word but have some misunderstanding about it.

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.