enter image description here

I'm not sure how to parse and translate まってないでつっこまないか. This is from the manga which I enclose a snippet here for context.

I think 待つ and 突っ込む are involved here but I don't know what's the actual meaning (and the grammatical construction) of this. My best guess is something like "Don't stand still. Charge the ball!". Is this close?

• Okay, so I think まってないでつっこまないか is actually two sentences, not one compound sentence like I initially thought. It's more like まってないでください。つっこまないかーっ。Am I correct? – Chav Likit Feb 20 at 7:07
    Nope, it's more like 「待ってないでつっこめ!」 . 「待ってないで突っ込まないかー!」→ Literally "Why don't you charge the ball, instead of waiting (for the ball to come)!" – Chocolate Feb 20 at 7:14

~ないか (negative-ない followed by questioning-か) with a falling intonation forms a strong command. See this question. (As an aside, ~ないか with a rising intonation forms a suggestion/invitation.)

• 突っ込む: "to charge (to the ball)"
  • 突っ込まないか: "Why not charge!" "Charge!"

待ってないで is "without waiting". To break down:

• 待つ: "to wait"
  • 待っている: "to be waiting"; the progressive form of 待つ (te-form of 待つ + いる)
  • 待ってる: "to be waiting"; a contraction of 待っている
  • 待ってない: "not to be waiting"; a negative form of 待ってる
  • 待ってないで: "without waiting"; the te-form of 待ってない

待ってないで on its own indeed can work as a casual request, too ("(Please) don't keep waiting"), but given his angry face, this is not a correct interpretation.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.