An example sentence for a new word I learned was:

徐々にホームシックを克服していってます

What is していってます? Why not just say しています? I understand that its te form of している, but what is the difference between these two?

I understand that its te form of している -- why do you understand it so? Does いる conjugate to いって? – macraf Feb 18 at 10:40

The いってます part of your sentence is the continuous form of the structure ~ていく.

Consider the difference between いて and いって. These are the te-forms of いる and いく, respectively. So the いってます part of your sentence

徐々にホームシックを克服していってます

is actually ていく with the auxiliary いく itself being used in the te-form. The structure ~ていく refers to an action which has not yet been finished. In this case, the speaker is talking about a process of overcoming which is ongoing. Imagine it being used in other tenses:

克服していく  I will overcome (by means of a process).
克服していった I overcame (by means of a process).
克服していっている I am overcoming (still in the process).

By the way, even if いる and いく did share the exact same te-form, it still would not be correct to say いってます to describe a state. The idea of existence and being in a state is already conceptually contained within the verb いる. You don't need to put it in the te-form to describe states of being because it already does that job. But a verb like いく does not contain the same sense of state, which is why it needs the auxiliary いる.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.