I'm facing this sentence

お父さんがまだ生きてる頃はね...

I think I'm able to guess the meaning which may sounds as "When my father was still alive...." but the "ending" はね is gonna puzzling me. I suppose there's some ellipsis (copula omitted) or it's just an emphatic expression (maybe the same)?

Many thanks in advance.

What's the sentence before that one?
    – mic
    Commented Feb 13, 2020 at 15:46
  • A guy is asking よく来たの? (did you came here often?) and subject replied うん、お父さんがまだ生きてる頃はね... maybe the subject is thinking when the father was still alive so there's an 思う omitted? I don't know. Commented Feb 13, 2020 at 15:49
    I would assume, the ね is used in place of a repetition -> お父さんがまだ生きてる頃は よく来たんだ;
    – mic
    Commented Feb 13, 2020 at 15:56

1 Answer 1

The sentence in question is a "partial" sentence in which the main verb is omitted. Similar things happen very often in English, too:

よく来たの?
Did [you] come (here) often?

うん、お父さんがまだ生きてる頃はね...
Yeah, when Dad was still alive ([I] used to come here)...

(The subject may be "she" or someone else instead of "you/I".)

The "full" version of the sentence is お父さんがまだ生きてる頃はよく来た, but よく来た is left out since it's redundant. This は is a topic marker, and it's almost mandatory here because it has a contrastive nuance (i.e., now this person no longer visits the place). ね is just a sentence-end/filler particle.

BTW, please try to provide the full context when asking a question like this. No one can tell the omitted verb without the context.

• This may not be the right place to ask but in the disappointing sounding sentence "グラビアなんか読んでるなんてね~", where the ね~ is read like ↗︎, is this also just filler particle that doesn't have much meaning? pixiv.net/novel/show.php?id=17248725
    – firuvi
    Commented Apr 1, 2022 at 19:05
    @firuvi No, ね as an interjectory/filler particle and ね as a sentence-end particle are different. You can easily find articles about the latter.
    – naruto
    Commented Apr 2, 2022 at 1:43

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .