I'm facing this sentence

お父さんがまだ生きてる頃はね...

I think I'm able to guess the meaning which may sounds as "When my father was still alive...." but the "ending" はね is gonna puzzling me. I suppose there's some ellipsis (copula omitted) or it's just an emphatic expression (maybe the same)?

Many thanks in advance.

What's the sentence before that one? – mic Feb 13 at 15:46
  • A guy is asking よく来たの? (did you came here often?) and subject replied うん、お父さんがまだ生きてる頃はね... maybe the subject is thinking when the father was still alive so there's an 思う omitted? I don't know. – Domenico Famularo Feb 13 at 15:49
    I would assume, the ね is used in place of a repetition -> お父さんがまだ生きてる頃は よく来たんだ; – mic Feb 13 at 15:56

The sentence in question is a "partial" sentence in which the main verb is omitted. Similar things happen very often in English, too:

よく来たの?
Did [you] come (here) often?

うん、お父さんがまだ生きてる頃はね...
Yeah, when Dad was still alive ([I] used to come here)...

(The subject may be "she" or someone else instead of "you/I".)

The "full" version of the sentence is お父さんがまだ生きてる頃はよく来た, but よく来た is left out since it's redundant. This は is a topic marker, and it's almost mandatory here because it has a contrastive nuance (i.e., now this person no longer visits the place). ね is just a sentence-end/filler particle.

BTW, please try to provide the full context when asking a question like this. No one can tell the omitted verb without the context.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.