In constructs like ~が原因で起こった~ is the で the て form of だ?

For example in: 旦那や子どもへの嫉妬が原因で起こったママ友トラブル

I assume it is for the が to make sense, but I can't find any information on this, so if anyone knows an answer would be greatly appreciated!

• Could you post the whole sentences? Right now, the answer is clear only with the first phrase.
    – user4032
    Commented Feb 7, 2020 at 16:16
  • @l'électeur I just added an example sentence, and I removed ~が理由で~ since I only added that as an afterthought to the question
    – Lucas
    Commented Feb 7, 2020 at 16:20

1 Answer 1

「旦那{だんな}や子{こ}どもへの嫉妬{しっと}が原因{げんいん}起{お}こったママ友{とも}トラブル」

That 「で」 is a particle and not a copula.

It can generally be said that 「で」 would be a particle unless it could grammatically and contextually be replaced by 「であり」、「であって」、「であり、そして」, etc.

In the phrase in question, the 「で」 cannot be replaced by one of those phrases.

A good example of the copula 「で」 can be seen in this Q&A:

How to parse 中国人で日本語が話せる方は、お電話ください。

If you had a sentence such as:

「トラブルの原因はA、Bではない。」

then, that 「で」 in bold would certainly be a copula in the 連用形{れんようけい} ("continuative form").

• As a side note, the particle で as in the example sentence is the same で as in the copula -- the copular uses of で are a more recent development, deriving from the use of particle で in the phrasal copular construction ~であり. In modern Japanese, the particle で is functionally and semantically different from the copular で, even though historically they come from the same thing. Commented Feb 8, 2020 at 0:19
  • Ok, that makes sense. I had always previously thought of it as the particle, but for some reason this time I started focusing on the が more and that in turn made me start questioning whether the で was actually the copula or not.
    – Lucas
    Commented Feb 8, 2020 at 0:48

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .