In constructs like ~が原因で起こった~ is the で the て form of だ?

For example in: 旦那や子どもへの嫉妬が原因で起こったママ友トラブル

I assume it is for the が to make sense, but I can't find any information on this, so if anyone knows an answer would be greatly appreciated!

• Could you post the whole sentences? Right now, the answer is clear only with the first phrase. – l'électeur Feb 7 at 16:16
  • @l'électeur I just added an example sentence, and I removed ~が理由で~ since I only added that as an afterthought to the question – Jake Lucas Feb 7 at 16:20

「旦那{だんな}や子{こ}どもへの嫉妬{しっと}が原因{げんいん}起{お}こったママ友{とも}トラブル」

That 「で」 is a particle and not a copula.

It can generally be said that 「で」 would be a particle unless it could grammatically and contextually be replaced by 「であり」、「であって」、「であり、そして」, etc.

In the phrase in question, the 「で」 cannot be replaced by one of those phrases.

A good example of the copula 「で」 can be seen in this Q&A:

How to parse 中国人で日本語が話せる方は、お電話ください。

If you had a sentence such as:

「トラブルの原因はA、Bではない。」

then, that 「で」 in bold would certainly be a copula in the 連用形{れんようけい} ("continuative form").

|improve this answer|||||
  • As a side note, the particle で as in the example sentence is the same で as in the copula -- the copular uses of で are a more recent development, deriving from the use of particle で in the phrasal copular construction ~であり. In modern Japanese, the particle で is functionally and semantically different from the copular で, even though historically they come from the same thing. – Eiríkr Útlendi Feb 8 at 0:19
  • Ok, that makes sense. I had always previously thought of it as the particle, but for some reason this time I started focusing on the が more and that in turn made me start questioning whether the で was actually the copula or not. – Jake Lucas Feb 8 at 0:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.