I am new to Japanese and found out that Adjectives can also be used along with verbs in て forms. I came to know that there are two adjectives い-adj and な-adj. い is an adjectival verb. Whereas, な is an adjectival noun.

So, my question is whether な-adjectives also in there て form merged/mix with verbs. Can you give examples please, if possible

Both i-adjectives and na-adjectives conjugate in Japanese. The conjugation form that allows adjectives to modify verbs (and other adjectives) is called 「連用形{れんようけい}」 ("continuative form").

With na-adjectives, the 連用形 comes in the form 「〇〇」, which means that you only need to change the final 「な」 to a 「に」.

しずか人{ひと} = "a quiet person"

しずか食{た}べる = "to eat quietly"

Fairly simple, isn't it? You can expect to use this rule all your life, too.

元気{げんき}こども = "a vigorous child"

元気生{い}きる = "to live vigorously"

Please remember that there is no such thing as the te-form for na-adjectives. Moreover, even with i-adjectives, it is misleading to say that the te-form modifies verbs. It is again the 連用形 that modifies verbs for i-adjectives as well.

For the 連用形 of an i-adjective, simply change the final 「い」 to a 「く」.

うま歌手{かしゅ} = "a good singer"

うま歌{うた}う = "to sing well"

It is utterly incorrect to say 「うまく歌う」 and I certainly hope you did not learn that it is correct.

高{たか}空{そら} = "high skies"

飛{と}ぶ = "to fly high"

We never say 「高く飛ぶ」.

| improve this answer | |
  • ありがと。I have a grammar book, Complete Grammar by Eriko Sako there it is written that there is a て form. He has given examples as well I'll give a photo by editing the question. It didn't give the example of na adj used as mix of verb. However in that it is stated that we add て in the end. And one more.question, can we use は particle after adjective. I can't think of any situations but if we can, could you please give me examples? Please. – APK Feb 4 at 13:51
  • link here is the Google Drive link. Sorry, the photo wasn't getting below 2 MB. I tried it on 10 different websites – APK Feb 4 at 14:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.