I'm a bit confused why jisho.org marks the word 直感的 as a noun in a sentence (直感的な人) while it's a Na-adjective in the dictionary. Based on the meaning and translation (intuitive person) it's also supposed to be an adjective. Is there a rule I don't know about or is it incorrectly marked as a noun?

enter image description here

• I cannot find any instance of Jisho.org labeling 直観的【ちょっかんてき】 as a noun. Can you edit your post to add a link showing this? The actual 直観的【ちょっかんてき】 entry here clearly labels the word as a "Na-adjective". – Eiríkr Útlendi Feb 2 '20 at 23:57
  • @EiríkrÚtlendi as shown in the image above, you have to search for it in a phrase or sentence. Then you have to hover over it with your mouse and it shows a part of speech for each word you are hovering over. Though to me, this seems like a question for the creator of Jisho more than anything. – Leebo Feb 3 '20 at 0:10
  • @Leebo -- Mousing over Links as shown in the screenshot, I get a popup menu, including Sentence search for 直観的. However, I get no search results, so there's nothing to mouse over. Since I couldn't reproduce the issue, I couldn't say much about how to proceed. – Eiríkr Útlendi Feb 3 '20 at 0:25
  • @Leebo -- However, if I search specifically for 直観的な人 and not just in "sentences", I can reproduce the OP's issue. It seems that Jisho.org has this same mistake for all -na adjectives formed from [NOUN] + 的, such as 印象的, 合理的, etc, but not for "regular" -na adjectives like 綺麗. – Eiríkr Útlendi Feb 3 '20 at 0:26
  • @number, as Leebo suggested in the comment above, this is a mistake in the coding or data at Jisho.org, and should be reported to them directly. – Eiríkr Útlendi Feb 3 '20 at 0:27

The adjective you asked about is formed from the noun 直感{ちょっかん} in the standard way of adding the 的{てき} suffix. Adjectives formed this way are all な-adjectives.

In the example you give (直感的な人), indeed, it seems to figure as a な-adjective qualifying 人.

You can also form an adverb from it in the standard way of adding に, as for all な-adjectives. Take for instance this sentence (from Tatoeba): 直感的{ちょっかんてき}には、基本的な意味の最小単位は単語です。

Most な-adjective can also be used as nouns. However with adjectives formed using 的、usually you go back to the corresponding noun by simply removing 的.

For example: あなたは直感を信じないのですか? "Do you believe in intuition?" There would be no need to add 的 here.

• Thank you for such a detailed answer! Very helpful. – number Feb 3 '20 at 12:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.