Can 行くな change to 行くぬ with the same meaning "Don't go"?

I assume this is based on the 行かない~行かぬ pair, but the negative imperative な is a very old particle, attested even in the Kojiki I believe. What prompted this question? – Angelos Feb 1 '20 at 15:17
  • I just curious. I see that な when combine with a dictionary form of a verb produces the negative imperative. And ぬ can be replaced with ない .So can な replaced with ぬ with the same meaning? – Khang Feb 2 '20 at 3:32

From your comment:

I see that な when combined with a dictionary form of a verb produces the negative imperative. And ぬ can be replaced with ない. So can な replaced with ぬ with the same meaning?

First of all, no. The な is a particle (助詞). ぬ and ない are auxiliaries (助動詞).

The negative imperative な is attached to the attributive form (連体形) of a verb:

行く+な → 行くな "Don't go!"

The negative auxiliaries ぬ and ない are attached to the imperfective form (未然形) of a verb. The 未然形 of 行く is 行か, so:

行く+ない → 行ない / 行く+ぬ → 行ぬ "don't go"

In modern Japanese, the auxiliaries ない and ぬ don't have the imperative form (命令形).

(In classical Japanese, the terminal form of ぬ is ず, and its imperative form is ざれ.)

• This is a very good description. I wouldn't even begin to know how to translate, so this is very helpful! – Z Kubota Feb 2 '20 at 4:09

そんな言葉は聞いたことない、ね。 I have never heard that, and my first thought would be it's a misprint or someone misheard. (apparently not a classical usage, so edited)

• Any suggestion on what is not helpful about my answer? It's very frustrating, so I appreciate some edit/comment if you are voting down. – Z Kubota Feb 4 '20 at 2:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.