An old Dover grammar-book of Japanese shows it to be to (it has no kana but I assume it's と), but Wikipedia shows to̅ (とお). Which one is correct?

It is 「とお」 as explained in the Q&A I linked to above. That is how "10" is read in the original Japanese way (prior to our dramatic encounter with the Chinese).

Listen to this video from 0:25 and you will see that it is the elongated 「とお」 and not the regular-length 「と」.

In actual words, however, the kanji 「十」 are read both ways. Which one to use depends on the word.

「とお」: 「十日{とおか}」 ("10th day of the month")

「と」: 「十度{とたび}」 ("10 times")

My Favorite: 「十月十日{とつきとおか}」

The first 「十」 is read 「と」 and the second, 「とお」. This is how we figuratively and rhythmically describe the normal length of human pregnancy before delivery -- "10 months and 10 days".

For the date "October 10th", however, 「十月十日」 is read 「じゅうがつとおか」. As far as pronunciation, the first 「十」 is Chinese-influenced, but the second 「十」 is originally Japanese.

| improve this answer | |
  • >> That is how "10" is read in the original Rather, [towo], とを in the old orthography. – Alexander Z. Feb 2 at 15:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.