I have seen that to express a sequence of verbs, you can use the て-form,

食堂に行って、昼ご飯を食べて、昼寝をする。

and the same form is used when thanking with various formalities,

教えてくれてありがとう

教えていただいてありがとうございます

教えていただきありがとうございます

Then would it be correct to simply replace 教えて with some collection of て-form verbs, say,

添削して説明して...ありがとう

Or would that be too unnatural, and something like

色々ありがとう

is preferred?

While the sentence:

「食堂{しょくどう}に行{い}って、昼{ひる}ご飯{はん}を食{た}べて、昼寝{ひるね}をする。」

is a completely natural-sounding one, it would not generally be a very natural-sounding sentence if one tried to employ multiple verbs in front of 「ありがとう」. In this case, it is different from English where one can naturally say:

"Thank you for (verb 1)ing and (verb 2)ing for me yesterday!"

For one thing, 「ありがとう」 is a fixed phrase and grammatically speaking, it does not have a wide application.

「教{おし}えてくれてありがとう」 is fine as it is "simple" enough.

「添削{てんさく}して説明{せつめい}して...ありがとう」, however, is definitely not. It sounds very... "foreign" for a lack of words. It sounds "translated". Native speakers would phrase it as:

「添削してくれて、また説明までしてくれて本当にありがとう。」

or slightly more formally:

「(ご)添削いただき、かつ(ご)説明までしていただき、まことにありがとうございました。」

Point is we tend to use the connectors 「また」、「かつ」、「なおかつ」. etc. We also tend to repeat 「くれて」、「いただき」、「いただいて」, etc. as well.

Finally,

「色々{いろいろ}ありがとう」

is a totally different kind of sentence without using a verb, so it is difficult for me to say anything productive about it except that it is a valid phrase.

You can use くれる when combining verbs with ありがとう。

一緒にご飯を食べた。 → 一緒にご飯を食べてくれてありがとう。

so, below makes sense;

添削して、説明してくれて、ありがとう。

or, simply just

添削と説明、ありがとう。(most preferred, I think)

Though the last option becomes unavailable when you have a non-suru verb like 助ける or 正す or くる or whatever instead of 説明. – Darius Jahandarie Jan 30 '20 at 22:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.