I'm having a bit of trouble getting a grasp of 筋ってもん (sujitte mon) and what it's supposed to convey. Does it possibly have kind of declarative function for whatever precedes it?

Examples include:

俺の通すべき筋ってもんだ

and

生身でもがくのが筋ってもんだ

Any help is appreciated.

• Can you add a little more context telling us what you think it means, and why you struggle with your assumed meaning? – ajsmart Jan 30 at 13:31
  • @ajsmart I don't really have an assumed meaning. – evilseto Jan 30 at 14:11
  • If that's the case, you should know that translation requests are considered off-topic. To avoid having the question closed as such, please include evidence of your research in the body of the question. See: japanese.meta.stackexchange.com/a/799/22352 – ajsmart Jan 30 at 14:12
    Your first example is an inversion of the idiom 筋を通す, which has its own unique meaning. The latter is a usage of 〜するのが筋だ, which has a separate meaning. ってもん is pretty unrelated and is its own grammar point. Maybe you could focus your question on just one of these? – Darius Jahandarie Jan 30 at 14:50
    Related (regarding ってもんだ): japanese.stackexchange.com/a/29018/9831 – Chocolate Jan 30 at 16:52

I suspect the core of your confusion comes from not knowing a meaning of 筋{すじ} which is applicable in both of your sentences; that is:

❺ 物事の論理的な流れ。道理。
「➖の通った話」
明鏡国語辞典 第二版

This usage of 筋 is pretty idiomatic and mostly found in the expressions 筋が通る or 筋を通す, which you should be able to look up directly.

「〜するのが筋だ」 stems from that usage and basically means that 〜 is the reasonable, logical, right, or natural thing to do.

The ってもんだ is best explained in detail elsewhere (see this answer, h/t Chocolate for finding that), but it’s basically a masculine-ish way of giving a “that’s the way things are” sort of finality to your sentence. Overall, I would say that 筋ってもんだ is not so common a collocation to be able to treat it as a single unit, so it is likely better to consider them separately.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you very much. That helps alot! – evilseto Jan 30 at 15:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.