Okay, so I fixed my first problem. Now, I have to find the proper form of "in the beginning." Should it be はじめに、すなおだった (hajime ni, sunaodatta,) or はじめは、すなおだった (hajime wa, sunaodatta?)

1 Answer 1

In your sentence はじめは ("at first", "in the beginning") is correct. This は is contrastive, and can be used with another subject marked with は (e.g., はじめは彼は素直だった). はじめに means "first (of all)", "at the beginning (of a month, etc)", "Introduction/Preface (chapter title)" and so on.

• Thank you. And one more thing. Does the sentence translate to, "In the beginning, I was upfront?" I have a feeling that sunaodatta changes with context. Jan 28, 2020 at 4:57
    @JeremiahTDK Without proper context, it's impossible to say yes or no. There are many similar words such as 素直, 正直, 率直, docile, honest, obedient, straightforward and so on. I don't know in which context you want to use this sentence.
    – naruto
    Jan 28, 2020 at 5:08
  • I'm desiring to use it for upfront. Jan 28, 2020 at 5:39
    @JeremiahTDK I know. And I said without proper context, it's impossible to say yes or no. Upfront has many possible translations and no one knows in what kind of context you want to say upfront.
    – naruto
    Jan 28, 2020 at 5:50
  • I understand and your help is appreciated. Thank you. Jan 28, 2020 at 13:43

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .