I've been trying to find the Japanese word for upfront for a while now. And about two to three days ago, I got my answer. However, every time I try to translate it in a sentence, it says "docile" or "obedient." How do I use it for the aforementioned word?

Have you tried Jisho's examples? jisho.org/search/%E7%B4%A0%E7%9B%B4%20%23sentences
    – Mauro
    Jan 26, 2020 at 23:26
  • No sentences with upfront. Jan 26, 2020 at 23:53
    A quick glance at those and I don't see really any at the top that are "docile / obedient." They are all the "honest / frank / upfront" meaning.
    – Leebo
    Jan 27, 2020 at 0:17
  • My mistake. Stupid RomajiDesu. I guess that's how little I know about the language and how much of an idiot I made myself appear as. My apologies. Jan 27, 2020 at 1:55
    If you mean for "wa" to be the topic marker, the correct way to write it is は, but it's not grammatical in that sentence.
    – Leebo
    Jan 27, 2020 at 2:47

2 Answers 2

I've been trying to find the Japanese word for upfront for a while now.

"Sunao" doesn't really correspond closely to "upfront", maybe try something like 率直【そっちょく】 for that.

However, every time I try to translate it in a sentence, it says "docile" or "obedient." How do I use it for the aforementioned word?

It sounds as if you're plugging things into Google translate and trying to get it to come up with something where sunao comes out approximately like that. If so, how about

素直に答えてください。

This is a common phrase which means something like "stop beating about the bush".

• I was trying to use RomajiDesu's translator. But yes, that taught me a lesson. Thank you for your assistance. And to be honest, I'm researching the language with Yale University's textbooks. Mar 2, 2020 at 14:57
  • Since honest and frank are synonyms of upfront, I think 素直 fits the meaning just fine when looking at some more example sentences. Nov 24, 2020 at 22:55
  • "Doesn't really correspond closely"
    – user36788
    Nov 25, 2020 at 0:05

When I took synonyms for upfront, (though "in advance" sounds a little different to me),

direct, open, frank, forthright, (etc)

came up.

So I think your "translation" into 率直{そっちょく}にaka素直{すなお}にseem to sound to fit with it.

The questioner didn't translate it as that, I did in my answer.
    – user36788
    Feb 28, 2020 at 23:44

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .