In English, I always say winter, spring, summer, fall/autumn, in that order.

Is there a similar order that the Japanese people follow?

Really? As a UK native I always start with spring. Are you sure your ordering has nothing to do with this song: songfacts.com/lyrics/carole-king/youve-got-a-friend which forces your order for the purpose of making it rhyme? – user3856370 Jan 24 at 10:41
    @user3856370: FWIW, as a native speaker of east-coast US English, I also naturally order the seasons as "winter, spring, summer, fall". My sense is that I learned this order in the order of the seasons starting from the beginning of the calendar year in January, leaving out the duplicated "winter" when getting to November / December (with winter weather usually starting in either month, depending on the year and the location). – Eiríkr Útlendi Jan 24 at 16:49
    I'd naturally start with "Spring". I don't think that there is a particular order is highly idiomatic. – James K Jan 24 at 19:37
    As another UK native I also start with spring, but I don't think I've ever seen any American start anywhere other than spring either. – Aeon Akechi Jan 24 at 20:17
    I did a quick straw poll of the people sitting in my aisle (US Midwest) and got two springs and a winter start. I don't even think this is a regional thing. – Alex H. Jan 24 at 20:39

In Japan, we say spring, summer, fall, winter.
[春夏秋冬]{しゅん・か・しゅう・とう}

same in english – theonlygusti Jan 24 at 20:08
  • 雨季は欠けているねー。日本がこいしい。。。 – Will Crawford Jan 25 at 10:53

We say spring, summer, autumn, winter as both school year and fiscal year start in April.

Most of Japanese people have an image of spring being timing of start. Hundreds of years ago, people called January to March as spring because it was the begining of the year.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.