I've seen this expression multiple times either attached to a longer sentence or by itself.

For example:

1. A: ねー、もっときれいに書いてください。これなんて書いてあるんですか B:あー、なんでしょう。。。. 私も読めません.

2. 恵那:(After seeing よつば fiddling with the swingset) なにしてんだろう。。。

My questions are:

What does this term mean? Does it have multiple meanings? When is it commonly used? How does it differ from similar expressions?

The ん in your two examples are different, the first being part 何 while the second is a contraction of の, but the general meaning of だろう・でしょう is the same in both. If だろう or でしょう is paired with a question word or followed immediately by か, it's basically a way of asking a somewhat self-directed question, like 'I wonder ...' (Note that they can also mean that without either of those things sometimes.)

In your first example A says, 'Hey, you should write a little more neatly. What does this say?' B replies, 'I wonder ... I can't read it either.' (Okay, I meant to write this earlier, but maybe B wasn't the one she was directly talking to? Seems a little weird that B wouldn't know what B themselves wrote, but then again my own handwriting is messy enough that I have trouble reading it sometimes. Dyspraxia is annoying)

In your second Ena says 'I wonder what she's doing ...' (Sequences like るんだ, るな sometimes contract to んだ, んな)

I am very tired writing this, so please forgive any messiness or typos.

| improve this answer | |
  • I have just one follow-up question. How does the meaning of "I wonder..." in this term differ from the meaning of かな which also translates to "I wonder...?" – Oaf Jan 25 at 6:10
  • @Oaf Not by too much, I don't think. I'm not a native speaker, and I think you'd need to ask one about the finer nuances. One thing of note, though, is that でしょうか is sometimes used to make a question politer (like ご覧いただけましたでしょうか?), and I don't believe かな can be used for this meaning. – Aeon Akechi Jan 25 at 6:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.